The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division (ABD) is contracting with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to conduct FDA-sponsored retail tobacco compliance inspections.
Compliance officers are conducting checks across Iowa to ensure tobacco product retailers are adhering to federal laws. The inspections determine retailers’ compliance with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as amended by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act and the Regulations Restricting the Sale and Distribution of Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco to Protect Children and Adolescents, found at Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1140 (21 C.F.R. Part 1140).
FDA-commissioned officials conducting retail inspections will focus on sale and distribution restrictions including, but not limited to:
- Age and ID verification
- Requirements for labeling and advertising of smokeless tobacco products
- Restrictions on the sale of single cigarettes
- A ban on certain candy and fruit-flavored cigarettes
- Prohibited self service displays and vending machines
The FDA provides a comprehensive website at http://www.fda.gov/tobacco to assist retailers in being fully compliant with the Tobacco Control Act. The website has a “Resources for Retailers” section that includes:
- Retailer Education Materials
- Regulations & Guidance
- Retailer Training and Enforcement
- Webinar Training Series
Full inspection results will be posted on the FDA website. The site lists all retailer Warning Letters and a monthly list of inspected establishments where no violations were observed.
Questions regarding the compliance checks should be directed to the FDA at 1.877.CTP.1373 or AskCTP@fda.hss.gov.
- RELEASE: Alcohol Abuse Puts Health at Risk
- RELEASE: Alcohol, Prom & Graduation Don't Mix
- RELEASE: Parents Influence Alcohol Consumption
- RELEASE: April is Alcohol Awareness Month
- RELEASE: Larson Reappointed as ABD Administrator
- Legislative Update
- Micro Distillery Industry Analysis
- Transportation Logistics Assessment
- I-PACT Alcohol Compliance Training
- Iowa's Alcoholic Beverage Laws & You